Having wooden furniture, decoration, or other items can give a home a sophisticated look (and even a nice smell!). The downside is that wood can be fairly delicate; for instance, if it gets wet, it may start to rot away. With this in mind, this post will go over the steps you can take to restore wood that’s in need of water damage repair in Grimes.
How to Restore Damaged Wood
- For this restoration project, you’ll need the following supplies: a towel, putty with hardening cream (auto filler), a putty knife, sandpaper, primer, paint, and brushes.
- The first step to take is to dry the wood as much as possible. You can do this by using the towel to dab the affected area and absorb the excess moisture.
- Once you’re done, inspect the wood to see what you need to work on, and if there are any loose or rotten pieces. If you find some, remove those rotten chunks so the putty can grab on to the healthy wood.
- Read the putty’s instructions, and follow them to completely refill the wood. You’ll need to apply a thick layer of putty in the damaged area in a quick manner, since it can be fast-drying.
- This next step is mostly about waiting for the putty to dry in its entirety. You can help move the drying process along by opening windows/doors and turning on fans.
- Once the putty is dry, you just need to give it the finishing touches. For example, if the putty is uneven, you can use sandpaper to smooth the surface out. Likewise, paint over the repaired area so your furniture is good as new.
For Water Damage Repair in Grimes, Call (888) 846-6505
If your home flooded or suffered some sort of water damage (for example, if you have a leaky pipe), trust that ProRestore DKI in Grimes will take care of your property restoration needs. Call the number above to get a free estimate from the best team in town.